Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How to stop lying to yourself and others

I saw this flower and it got me thinking...

I have no idea what kind of flower it is, but that's not important.

What is important for you to know is that the women who planted this flower and the lovely garden surrounding her home smokes cigarettes.

I find the disconnect between beautifying her outside world and polluting her inside world interesting, sad and frustrating.

Isn't this living a lie?

This lack of alignment fires up a part of me that seeks to live my truth, to push myself to fully express who I am. It brings up emotions related to feeling like I'm living a lie too.

I feel the weight of the hard truth that I'm the only one that is limiting my potential. I do things that do not align with who I know I want to be.

How about you?

It takes courage to live your truth, to share your opinion and express yourself fully. I don't know that I have the perfect answer to how to stop lying to yourself others.

So...what is the answer?

What I do know is that what is true for me often is not what is easy. It's not what makes me feel comfortable and safe. It's often about pushing through my fears, taking chances and stretching myself beyond what I believe is possible.

On the other side of taking a risk to grow I realize that what I believed to be true was actually not. On the other side a new truth emerges like a flower. Now the trick is to not fall into the trap of clinging to that new truth so tightly that it once again stops you from stretching into the person you are meant to become.

It's okay to stop and smell the flowers and enjoy yourself but when your outside behaviours become too toxic and out of alignment with who you know deep down you want to be it can impact your health, relationships and more.  Let's get working on this together by reflecting on the questions below.


Quiet Reflection Questions:
What parts of my life feel like they are a lie?

And

What is one small step that I can take right now to start living a life that is more true to who I want to be in the world?




No comments:

Post a Comment