Monday, April 25, 2011

Free Myers Briggs Personality Test and Other Resources To Know Yourself Better

Introversion is a tendency to live in one's head. When the world is going crazy we can retreat to our heads for some peace and quiet.

I first learned about introversion when I took the Myers Briggs Type Indicator assessment tool in 1998 and found out that I was an INFP - the Healer personality type. The assessment helped me feel validated for who I was. I often come back to personality assessments when I'm feeling off center and unsettled.

Today I redid the assessment and came up as INFJ - the Counselor.  And today this feels right. Aaaahhhh that feels gooooooodddd.

You can take a free Myers Briggs test at this link if you are interested
http://bit.ly/eeiFO8

There are more comprehensive tests and coaching available through CAPT.


The summary the free test provided described my profile as:
  • distinctively expressed introvert
  • moderately expressed intuitive personality
  • slightly expressed feeling personality
  • slightly expressed judging personality 
What has been helpful for me is learning that on these dimensions we can be slight or moderate or strong and that they can shift over time depending on how we fill out the survey, the mood we are in at the time and the circumstances around us that call out different sides of our personality.
I find personality assessments a quick way to find solid footing and recharge my sense of self worth when someone or something knocks it down. We all need something to lean on but it's important that we don't use assessments as a crutch. No one assessment can provide a picture of all the richness of who we are. That's why I like to use a variety of tools to find my center.

Here are three of my favourite resources:  (Note: I don't make any money promoting these resources)

1. Pearson-Marr Archetype Indicator® (PMAI®) assessment

I love the idea of living a story and playing a character and role in the world. Archetypes and the PMAI assessment help tap into our stories and roles. I will be writing about this in future blog postings.

The Pearson-Marr Archetype Indicator® (PMAI®) assessment is designed to help an individual understand the roles they prefer to adopt as they approach life.

2. Playful Way to Knowing Yourself

A dynamic workbook that prompts you to look at yourself from angles and perspectives you would not otherwise see. I like the picture prompts the author uses to tap into different aspects of our personality and values. Get it here.

3. The Introverts Advantage 

One of the bibles to learn about introversion and how to leverage the strengths and manage the downsides of being a Quiet Guy. Get it here.


I love my introverted tendencies and all the richness that comes with it. Using assessments to better understand introversion and other aspects of my personality and place in the world gives me strength and stability in a constantly changing world.

What resources do you utilize to reconnect with who you are and find solid footing? Please share in the comments below.






No comments:

Post a Comment